An electric bicycle or e-bike is our regular bicycle with added advanced and innovative components like a motor, battery, and other mechanical devices. These components are seamlessly structured and integrated to go with the design of the bike. Considering the example of Rad electric bikes, E-bikes are more manageable as the amount of force applied for paddling can be controlled, and they are easy to use. These are also known for making riding easy because of their assistance when paddling and many others. Although they are suitable for assisting an individual, these bikes are not a complete substitute for human power.
Operating Modes Of An e-Bike
An e-bike can be operated in three modes, depending on your choice. These are paddle only, paddle assist, and electric only.
- Paddle only:this mode allows you to use your e-bikes like a regular one without involving any use of the motor or batteries and by the simple use of paddles only. The gears of the bike can also be used during this mode.
- Pedal/Electric-assist: this is a convenient mode which allows gradual assistance as an individual paddles the bike. The assistance is at three different levels, which are low, medium, and high, with low being at 30%, the medium being at 60%, and high being at 90%. The different levels of assistance can be controlled through a button present on the controlling area and can be increased or decreased through the same button depending on one’s need. Once activated, the modes will provide gradual assistance through electric power as you paddle.
- Electric-only: this mode allows an individual to relax and sit back as the bike operates and runs through complete paddling assistance. To activate this mode, the individual should turn the throttle, which is present on the bike’s handle. To keep the bike entirely on the electric mode, the throttle should be kept turned. The individual can also paddle along if they wish to do so.
Components Of An e-Bike
An e-bike consists of a motor to help propel the bike, a battery for working of the motor, sensors that assist in the bike’s speeding component, and a controller that helps operate them.
- Motor: a motor in an e-bike can have different placements depending on the structure of the bike. A motor in an e-bike is responsible for controlling the torque, which is a vital component assisting the power with which a bike operates. Both power and torque are directly related. The more the torque higher will be the power. Usually, the power rating for the e-bike motor ranges from 200-1000 W. A high rating of an e-bike motor means that it can pull greater weights with ease. The most common type of motor used in e-bikes is a hub motor placed with the front wheel and helps propel the bike forward once it started.
- Battery: the battery used in an e-bike typically ranges from 200-1000 W and has a charging time of approximately five to six hours, which may vary per bike model. Batteries play a significant role in the weight, range, and style of a bike. The major types of batteries used in electric bikes are Sealed Lead Acid and Lithium-Ion. The lithium ion battery is the latest type and is known to last two to three times more than a sealed lead-acid battery. Lithium-ion batteries are easy to maintain and are lightweight as well. Sealed lead acid batteries were previously used in scooters and e-bikes. The main goal is to keep the batteries as lightweight as possible so they can work efficiently.
- Sensor: a sensor is an essential component of an electric bike. There are two types of sensors in an electric bike, which are speed sensor and torque sensor. A speed sensor will immediately engage the motor as soon as the individual starts paddling and will provide ride assistance. On the other hand, a torque sensor is known to respond with small amounts of assistance and is directly relatedto the power applied when paddling. The assistance increases gradually as an individual applies more power in paddling. This sensor is designed to match an individual’s speed and power.
- Controller: an electric bike controller is located on the handlebar. There are two styles of controllers that are used to operate the e-bike. A pedal activated and throttle based controller. A pedal activated controller offers electrical assistance as you start paddling. Simple paddling works well with this controller as the assistance is provided once the paddling starts. This controller consists of a regulator that assistsin regulating the frequency of assistance one receives when paddling. The frequency of assistance can also be dialed in as per individual’s liking. The throttle based controller has a simple mechanism which can be either a twist grip or a thumb press type. The individual only needs to pull back the handle or press the button to receive electrical assistance.
Functioning Of An e-Bike
The working phenomenon of an electric bike is elementary. Once the bike is started, the battery provides the motor with power. The motor drives the bike’s power train, which leads to a smooth riding time on the bike. The individuals can operate the bike on their mode of liking as they ride.
Comfort Of An e-Bike
An electric bike is known to be quite comfortable and has a few benefits. Electric bikes are easy to operate and ride, and they reduce the effort required for paddling as in the case of a regular bike, because of this, they can travel for greater distances and more time than a regular bike. They can be handy for avoiding traffic and other overloaded transportation means. These bikes are beneficial when dealing with hilly areas, as it requires a lot of force to cover these areas when riding a regular bike, the components of an e-bike make it much easy to climb up such areas. The rechargeable battery of these bikes can easily last for a traveling distance of about 25 to 45 km/h. These bikes are also known to be excellent for good cardiovascular exercise and aerobics.