If you’re like most people, once you find a car insurance company that provides the coverage you need at a price you can afford, you don’t think about changing companies. It might seem crazy to consider switching insurance providers just because they might be able to provide better coverage at a lower price. After all, your car is insured and driving legally. But did you know that if you look into comparing multiple auto insurance companies, you could save up to as much as 40%?
While it may seem complicated to compare auto insurance quotes at first glance, it certainly doesn’t have to be that way. By taking a few simple steps and doing the right research you can find a deal that suits you best while also saving money.
Know What You’re Looking For
The first thing that you need to do is figure out what type of coverage you need for your vehicle. This will depend on a lot of different factors such as where you live, what kind of car you drive, how old your car is, whether or not anyone else in your household drives your vehicle, and more.
Once you figure out what type of coverage is right for your vehicle, then it will be easier to narrow down the different choices that you have. You will also want to know what kind of deductible is best for your budget.
Get Help From An Expert
Since there are a lot of options for an individual who is shopping for car insurance, the process can take a lot of time, and often you can get frustrated by the number of companies that you have to call. One way that you can make the process easier is to work with an insurance broker.
A broker will be able to help you with the process because they generally work with many different insurance providers. The broker will be able to find several quotes that fit your situation and help you to compare them side by side. This means that you don’t have to do all of the legwork yourself and in fact, it may even save you money in the long run.
Ask About Discounts To Save Money
When it comes to saving money on insurance, one of the best ways for you to do this is by asking about discounts. There are a number of different companies that offer all types of discounts, and this will help you save money on your policy. Here are some of the most common types of discounts that you can get:
- Safe driver discount;
- Good student discount;
- Discount for having multiple policies with a single insurance company;
- Loyalty discount (if you’ve already been insured with them before).
Consider Optional Coverages
Before you lock in on a policy, consider adding some optional coverages that even though they might cost an additional fee, may save you a lot long-term. These include:
- Hail damage – This coverage protects your car against catastrophic hail damage. It’s offered in most parts of the country, but make sure your area is covered before you buy it.
- Windshield replacement – Most policies replace a windshield that’s damaged by an accident or vandalized, but this coverage will pay to replace your windshield even if the damage isn’t related to an accident.
- Rental reimbursement – If your car is in the shop for repairs and you can’t drive it, rental reimbursement will cover the cost of renting a car while yours is being fixed.
- Towing and labor – This coverage pays for towing and labor costs when your car breaks down and can’t be towed. You’ll pay less for this coverage if you have roadside assistance as part of your policy.
- Emergency road service – If you have mechanical problems, this pays for roadside assistance such as jump-starts and tire changes. Often included with roadside assistance, this is something to look into if that feature isn’t included with your policy.
Consider Bundling Policies
If you already have an insurance policy for your home or life, then bundling these policies with your auto insurance will often lead to significant savings. Many companies offer discounts when multiple policies are purchased through them.
The savings can be even greater if both vehicles in a household are covered by the same company. If you already have one policy with a company, simply call them up and ask if they offer any discounts for bundling auto insurance with another policy they offer.
At the end of the day, comparison sites are a great way to find the best deals for your insurance. Once you begin comparing quotes, you’ll feel more confident and ready to choose the policy that meets your unique needs as effectively as possible. After all, who doesn’t want to make the smartest choice for themselves? If you’re ready to make a change in regards to your insurance, take some time to do your research on finding cheap car insurance quotes.